When travelling as a vegan, it is important to do your research in advance to find out about the food options available. Many countries have traditional dishes that are vegan-friendly, but in some places it can be more difficult to find vegan food. In some countries, it may be necessary to bring your own food with you.
It is also important to be aware of cultural differences regarding food. In some cultures, it is considered impolite to refuse food that is offered to you. As a vegan, you will need to be prepared to explain your dietary restrictions to avoid any awkward situations.
In addition to food, it is important to check for other animal-derived products that may be used in everyday items such as cosmetics, cleaning products, and clothing. Many vegans choose to avoid using these products, so it is important to find out in advance whether they are available in the country you are visiting.
Travelling as a vegan can be a challenge, but it is also an opportunity to learn about new cultures and expand your horizons. With a little planning, it is possible to have a enjoyable and hassle-free trip.
There are many vegan-friendly countries in the world, but some stand out more than others. Here are five of the most vegan-friendly countries:
In Taiwan, veganism is becoming increasingly popular, and there are many delicious vegan options available. From street food to fine dining, there is something for everyone.
There are many vegan-friendly dishes in Taiwan, but some of the most popular include:
- Vegan Street Food - Taiwan is famous for its street food, and there are many vegan-friendly options available. From dumplings to noodles, there is something for everyone.
- Vegan Dim Sum - Dim sum is a popular Chinese dish, and there are many vegan-friendly options available. From steamed buns to fried dumplings, there is a wide variety to choose from.
- Vegan Rice Dishes - Rice is a staple in Taiwan, and there are many vegan-friendly rice dishes available. From simple rice and vegetables to more elaborate dishes, there is something for everyone.
- Vegan Noodles - Noodles are another popular Taiwanese food, and there are many vegan-friendly options available. From simple noodle soups to more complex dishes, there is something for everyone.
- Vegan Desserts - Taiwan is also famous for its delicious desserts, and many of them are vegan-friendly. From green tea ice cream to fried bananas, there is a wide variety to choose from.
Only for the most daring there is the Stinky Tofu. Stinky tofu is a type of fermented tofu that originates from China. It is typically made by soaking tofu in brine or other fermented liquids, and it has a strong smell that some people find unpleasant. Despite its name and smell, stinky tofu is actually quite delicious, and it is often served as street food or in restaurants.
Israel has a large vegan community, and vegan food is widely available. Jerusalem is especially vegan-friendly, with many restaurants offering vegan versions of traditional dishes.
There are many vegan-friendly dishes in Israel, but some of the most popular include:
- Falafel - Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern dish, and it is typically made with chickpeas or fava beans. It is usually served in a pita bread with vegetables and sauce.
- Hummus - Hummus is a popular dips made from chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, and lemon juice. It is typically served with pita bread or vegetables.
- Vegan Shawarma - The Middle Eastern spiced vegan shawarma wrap is stuffed with succulent soy curl tenders and chickpeas baked to crispy perfection, sometimes seitan or mushrooms can also be used. The fresh vegetables, creamy hummus, and two sauces (sweet and spicy tahini sauce create a big bold, spicy, vibrant flavour profile that vegan dreams are made of.
- Vegan Fattoush - Fattoush is a popular Lebanese salad made with vegetables, herbs, and pita bread. It is typically served with a lemon dressing.
- Vegan Baklava - Baklava is a popular Middle Eastern dessert made with phyllo dough, nuts, and syrup (originally honey was used, so it´s better to ask first if it contains honey)
Italy is known for its delicious food, and many of its classic dishes can easily be made vegan. From pizza to pasta, there are endless possibilities.
There are many vegan-friendly dishes in Italy, but some of the most popular include:
- Vegan Pizza - Pizza is a classic Italian dish, and there are many vegan-friendly options available. From simple Margherita pizza to more complex toppings, there is something for everyone.
- Vegan Pasta - Pasta is another popular Italian dish. From spaghetti to lasagna, the heart of the vegan pasta is typically a plant-based protein, such as soy meat.
- Vegan Risotto - Risotto is a classic Italian rice dish that can be made with a variety of vegetables or mushrooms. It is typically served as a main course or side dish.
Thai food is often very vegan-friendly, and there are many delicious plant-based options available.
There are many vegan-friendly dishes in Thailand, but some of the most popular include:
- Vegan Pad Thai - Pad Thai is a popular Thai dish made with rice noodles, vegetables, and tofu. It is typically served with a peanut sauce.
- Vegan Green Curry - Green curry is a popular Thai dish made with coconut milk, green chili peppers, and other vegetables. It is typically served with rice or noodles.
- Vegan Tom Yum Soup - Tom yum soup is a popular Thai soup made with lemongrass, chili peppers, and other ingredients. It can be made vegan by avoiding the use of fish sauce or shrimp paste.
- Vegan Spring Rolls - Spring rolls are a popular Asian dish that can be either fried or fresh. They are typically filled with vegetables and served with a dipping sauce.
India is a great place for vegan food, as many of its traditional dishes are naturally vegan. There is also a growing number of vegan restaurants in major cities.
There are many vegan-friendly dishes in India, but some of the most popular include:
- Vegan Samosas - Samosas are a popular Indian dish made with a fried or baked pastry shell and filled with vegetables, spices, and sometimes lentils or chickpeas. They are typically served with a dipping sauce.
- Vegan Aloo Gobi - Aloo gobi is a popular Indian dish made with potatoes, cauliflower, and spices. It is typically served as a side dish or main course.
- Vegan Chana Masala - Chana masala is a popular Indian dish made with chickpeas, tomatoes, and spices. It is typically served as a side dish or main course.
Be advised that most vegetarian dishes in India use Ghee, it's a clarified butter made with cow's milk. So it's always good to ask first if the dishes use Ghee or not. Some places in India use the description "pure vegetarian", which usually means it's vegan.
The Happy Cow app is a great resource for vegans travelling abroad. It helps you find vegan-friendly restaurants and cafes in your area, as well as providing reviews and ratings. Click here to access our Happy Cow international list for free!
Check out more travel tips here: