There are a variety of aromatic herbs that can be used in vegan cooking, each with its own unique flavor. Some of the most commonly used herbs include basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and sage. These herbs are often used in Italian or Mediterranean-style cuisine due to their ability to enhance the flavors of tomato-based dishes.
Aromatic herbs are a great way to add flavor to vegan dishes without using salt or other seasonings that may not be suitable for those on a plant-based diet. Herbs can also help to boost the nutritional value of a dish by providing vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
When to use Dry or Fresh Herbs?
Dried herbs are typically more potent than fresh herbs, so you will need to use less of them when adding them to a recipe. Fresh herbs have a more delicate flavor and can be used more liberally in dishes.
Here are some examples of the most commonly used aromatic herbs:
Basil has a sweet, spicy flavor with hints of clove and anise. It is commonly used in tomato-based dishes, pesto, and other Italian recipes.Oregano:
Oregano has a pungent, earthy flavor that is perfect for adding depth to tomato sauces and stews.Thyme:
Thyme has a delicate, lemony flavor that works well in a variety of dishes including soups, stews, vegetables.Rosemary:
Rosemary has a strong, piney flavor that can be overwhelming if used too liberally. It is best used sparingly in dishes such as roasted potatoes.Sage
: Sage has a savory, slightly peppery flavor that pairs well with fatty foods like and fake meats. It is also commonly used in stuffing recipes.Bay leaves:
Bay leaves have a milder flavor than other aromatic herbs but they can still add complexity to soup stocks and slow-cooked dishes. They should be removed from the dish before serving since their sharp edges can be unpleasant to eat.
Some fun and curious facts about herbs:
- Basil and cilantro, are actually members of the mint family!
- Most herbs can be used to make homemade herbal teas! Simply steep a small handful of fresh or dried herbs in hot water for 5-10 minutes and enjoy.
- They can be used to make potpourri and other fragrant products.
- They can be used in natural remedies and cosmetics.
- Some herbs have antiseptic or antibacterial properties.
- Some herbs, such as lavender and chamomile, can be used to make sachets that produce a calming effect when placed under a pillow or in a drawer.