Kurdish Chickpea Salad
A spicy Persian salad that is served warm with a sprinkling of herbs. You can use chickpeas, or a variety of other beans in this dish.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin seed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cups canned chick-peas, rinsed and drained (may substitute black beans, kidney beans, or white beans)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in pan and add cumin seed, cook just till fragrant.
Add the onion and garlic and cook until onion is tender.
Add the ginger, salt, pepper, cayenne, lime juice, tomato, and chickpeas, and simmer for 5 minutes or until hot.
Serve salad hot, garnished with chopped cilantro.