Israeli Bean Soup
From Norene Gilletz cookbook MealLeaniYumm. This is a really hearty soup, and it is so amazing.
- 2 cups small white beans (navy beans, etc)
- 6 cups cold water, for soaking the beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse well.
Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed soup pot and saute onion and celery for five minutes until golden.
Add carrots and garlic and saute for another five minutes. Add water, beans, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and cumin.
Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer for 1 hour.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
Cook 1/2 hour longer, until beans are tender.
If soup is too thick thin with a little bit of water.
Time given does not include overnight soaking.