Amazing Turkish " Confetti" Rice
I lived in Izmir, Turkey for one year and got this recipe from the family cook. It is, hands down, the BEST rice I have ever had the pleasure of eating, it also makes a SPECTACULAR presentation on any table!
SERVES 6 -8
- 4 cups good quality jasmine rice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup small dried currant
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (Vidalia works best)
- 1 small eggplant, diced (or 1/2 of a large)
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped (portabello work best)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato (chopped)
- 3-4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 sprigs fresh mint, chopped (do NOT sub for dried!)
- 5-6 sprigs fresh dill, chopped (do NOT sub for dried!)
- salt and pepper
Make the rice (according to the directions on the package) in an extra-large pot.
While the rice is cooking, sauté the yellow pepper, onion, mushrooms, garlic, currants, sun-dried tomatoes and the olive oil until golden brown.
Be sure to use an extra-large skillet and medium to medium-high heat.
When vegetables are finished, add them (along with the chopped fresh mint and dill) to the cooked rice and gently stir together until mixed evenly.
To give this dish an added "punch" of flavor, substitute vegetable broth for water when making the rice.