Roasted Tomato Soup
From: Brian, UK
This soup is quick, easy & delicious.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
- 1 kilo (2lb) tomatoes, quartered
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Place the tomatoes, red
onion and garlic in a roasting tin and drizzle with the olive oil.
Season and roast for 20 minutes until softened and slightly charred.
2. Meanwhile, crumble the stock cubes into a large pan, add 1 litre
(1.5 pints) of hot water, mix well and bring to the boil. Turn off the
heat, add the roasted tomato mixture and whizz with a hand-held
electric blender until smooth (or allow to cool slightly then pour
into a blender in batches to liquidise).
3. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Serve with crusty French bread.
This soup is also delicious served cold.
Adapted from a Waitrose recipe card.