and Squash Salad
This salad is as appealing to the eye as it is to the taste buds.
The recipe calls for a minimal amount of oil, but you can eliminate
even that if you want and the dish will still be delicious.
Arrange squash in a steamer over boiling water.
- 1 lb (450 g) small yellow squash, or zucchini (courgettes),
or combination of both, sliced diagonally
- 1 lb (450 g) small, ripe tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1/2 cup purple onion, sliced into narrow strips
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1+1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cover and steam 1 minute, then plunge into cold water to stop the
Combine squash, tomatoes, onion, and basil in salad bowl.
In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients.
Pour over the vegetables and toss gently.
Serve chilled or at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6.