Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Capers
Resource Center - Boston, USA
*if you prefer, substitute 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil for the thyme
- 15 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), minced
- 1/2 cup very hot water
- vegetable stock for sauteeing
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 3 tbls capers, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme (3/4 tsp. dried)*
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh tarragon (1-1/2 tsp. dried)*
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas (optional, but I say go for
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large covered pot of water to a rapid boil.
Place the minced sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and cover them
with the 1/2 cup of very hot water.
In a nonreactive skillet or heavy saucepan, heat the broth and
saute the onions on medium heat, covered, for 3 minutes.
Chop the fresh tomatoes and set aside.
Drain the sun-dried tomatoes, reserving their liquid, and add them
to the onions.
Stir in the garlic, capers, thyme, and tarragon.
Add the fresh chopped tomatoes, optional peas, and the reserved
sun-dried tomatoes soaking liquid.
Saute, covered, until the tomatoes soften and lose their shape.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
As soon as the pasta water boils, stir in the penne, cover, and
return to a boil.
Then uncover, and cook the pasta until al dente.
In a large warmed serving bowl, toss the hot pasta with the sauce,
and stir in the chopped parsley and serve immediately