with White Beans & Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
from: Dorothy V
This is from "Everyday Cooking" by Dr. Dean Ornish & is one of
Combine the onions, garlic, and 1/4 cup broth in a large pot.
- 1 Cup Sliced Onions
- 1 Tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth, or more if needed
- 2 (15 oz.) Cans White Cannellini Beans, drained & rinsed,
or 3 Cups Home-cooked Cannellini Beans with 1 1/2 Cups Cooking
- 1 Cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes (not oil packed), quartered
- 1 Tsp. Dried Thyme, or 2 Tsp. Minced Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tsp. Dried Basil, or 1 Tbs. Fresh Basil cut in Thin Ribbons
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Lb. Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- 2 Tbs. Chopped Parsley
Simmer over moderately high heat until the onions are soft, about
Stir in the beans with their liquid (or an equivalent amount of
water if using canned beans), the sun-dried tomatoes, thyme, basil,
and remaining 3/4 cup broth.
Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, over moderate heat, stirring
often, until all the flavors are well blended, 15 to 20 minutes.
Thin, if desired, with additional vegetable broth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
Add the pasta and boil until al dente, about 12 minutes.
Drain and transfer to a warm bowl.
Add the sauce and toss to coat.
Serve on warm plates, topping each portion with 1/2 tablespoon chopped
Serves 4; PER SERVING (using 1/4 tsp. salt): Calories 509; Total
Fat 2 g. (4% of cals.)
Fiber 23 g.; Sodium 677 mg.; Sat. Fat 0; Carbohydrate 112 g.; Cholesterol