Pasta With Tofu
1) In a medium bowl mix vinegar, 1Tbsp of the oil, soy & sugar.
- 1/4 c seasoned rice vinegar (or 3tbsp oriental sesame oil (or
white vin +2 tsp sugar) I used 2 Tbsp spicy and 1 Tbsp olive)
- 1Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pkg. firm or extra firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes (gently
squeeze out excess water before cubing)
- 12 oz penne pasta (dried)
- 2 c Chinese pea pods (I used 1 bag frozen stir fry veggies with
sugar snap peas....this is Alaska, nothing is fresh)
- 2 cloves garlic minced (I used much more)
- 1/2 cup plum jam
- Extra full 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/3 cilantro leaves (I omitted these)
- 1/4 c sliced green onions
- cilantro sprigs
- crushed red pepper flakes
2) Put some oil (I used spicy) into a skillet and fry the tofu.
This doesn't take a lot of oil. maybe a couple of tablespoons.
The tofu will absorb the oil and turn a soft golden color.
Don't over cook.
Bear in mind that you can't under cook it as it is edible right from
the box... bland and tasteless but edible.
Remove from fire and mix in with mixture from #1.
Gently mix it in and allow to marinate.
3) Start a pot to boil with water to cook penne.
While water heats get together ingredients for sauce.
4) When Water boils, add penne and cook over med high heat for about
7-9 minutes until pasta is ALMOST tender to bite.
Add pea pods or stir fry veggies & cook for 1 more minute. Drain.
5) Remove tofu from marinade and reserve the extra for use in the
6) In the tofu skillet, Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil over medium
Toss in garlic and stir cooking JUST until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add jam, peanut butter, excess marinade from tofu and ginger.
Cook just until sauce is smooth and well blended.
7) Remove from heat and add pasta mixture, cilantro leaves and green
Mix gently but thoroughly.
Mix in tofu. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Season to taste with red pepper.
This was surprisingly easy and quick....ENJOY!! Gresha and David
Serves: 4 easy. Preparation time: 20 min