From: Karen Sonnessa
Recipe By: Vegetarian Times, October 1996
From Jack Sprat's Vegetarian Grill, New Orleans.
Serving Size: 10
In medium pot over low heat, melt margarine.
- 1/2 stick margarine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 green bell peppers -- chopped
- 1 large onion -- chopped
- 1 large tomato -- chopped
- 1 cup mixed fresh seasonal vegetables(see note) -- cut in chunks
- 2 cups tofu -- tempeh, seitan or other meat alternatives (see
note) -- cut in chunks
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- up to 1/2t
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian chicken flavored powdered seasoning
- 8 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
Add stock, pepper, onion, tomato and mixed fresh seasonal vegetables.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about
Add tofu, tempeh, seitan, and/or meat alternatives and seasonings;
cook 5 more minutes.
Stir in rice and tomato past; continue stirring until mixture is thoroughly
Serve hot garnished with carrot and scallions and crusty French
bread or even cornbread.
Makes 10 servings of about 1 1/2 cups each.
The restaurant recommends a vegetable/soy products combination of
1 cup broccoli, 1 cup baked, marinated tempeh and 1 cup reconstituted
textured vegetable protein mock "ch***en."
Another flavorful combination is 1 cup mushrooms, 1 cup baked, marinated
tofu and 1 cup mock "sa**age."