Stew with Vegetables
from LINDA'S KITCHEN by Linda McCartney (1995); Serving Size: 4;
Preparation Time :0:45
- 1 large onion -- sliced
- 1 clove garlic -- sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil -- or less
- 3 ounces turnip -- cubed
- 6 ounces baby carrots -- sliced (about 1-1/2-cups)
- 6 ounces new potatoes -- washed and diced (about 1-1/4-cups)
- 6 ounces cauliflower florets (about 2-cups)
- 8 ounces zucchini -- sliced (about 2-cups)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock -- full-flavored
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch -- heaping
- 3 tablespoons water
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes -- crushed with juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- fresh herbs -- to taste
- salt and pepper
Pantry and preps:
- vegetable cooking spray -- (or up to 3-Tbs oil)
- 1/2 pound vegetarian steak -- chunks
Cut one young turnip (2 to 3 ounces).
Get young zucchini and slice them lengthwise.
Dissolve cornstarch in water. HERBS: thyme, tarragon or a mixture.
wheat gluten or Seitan; or similar product that resembles beef-cubes
when browned; or use beans.
In large pan, soften onion and garlic in oil, covered, over low
Then add the vegetables and brown 5-6 minutes, stirring and turning.
Gradually add stock, stirring and bring to a foil, then stir in
the cornstarch and water mixture.
Add the tomatoes with their juice and stir well. Add the herbs,
plus any spices you like.
Season with the salt and pepper.
Turn the heat down and cover the pan tightly.
Simmer gently about 20 to 25 minutes.
Stir occasionally and add a litle water if needed.
Meanwhile, brown the seitan cubes in a skillet.
Takes about 3 minutes to brown 1/2-inch chunks.
Add to the stew, gently, and simmer 10 minutes.
PAT'S NOTE: Skip the seitan and add red kidney beans.
342 cals: 29% fat (11.2g); 20.8% protein (18.1g); 50.3% carbs.