Leek and Olive Stew
Resource Center - Boston, USA
Serve this unique stew with whole wheat crackers.
Saute leek and garlic in oil in a 4-quart stew pot.
- 3 cups leeks, scrubbed and chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups raw carrots, scrubbed and finely diced
- 1 cup raw red potato, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- Large pinch dried thyme
- Large pinch dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth (can use water -Matt)
- 1/2 cup ripe olives, pitted and chopped
When leeks are soft, add all other vegetables and seasonings.
Add broth, cover, and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer at least 45 minutes.
During last five minutes of cooking, stir in olives.
(Note: Thicken with 1 Tablespoon whole wheat or rice flour if desired.)
Total Calories Per Serving: 235 Fat: 10 grams