Trinidadian Black-Eyed Pea Soup
From Madhur Jaffery's World Vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen black-eyed peas
- 6 1/2 cups vegetable stock or vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder (mixed with 1 tablespoon hot water)
- 1/4 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped (or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- lime or lemon wedge
Add oil to a large pan over medium-high heat.
Add in the bell pepper, onion, and carrots.
Stir/saute for 3 minutes or until the onion turns translucent and slightly browned at the edges.
Add in the cilantro; stir once.
Add in the peas, stock, rice, ginger, allspice, thyme, mustard, and chile pepper.
Stir and bring to a boil.
Cover; lower heat to LOW and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours--stir occasionally.
Add salt and more pepper to taste if needed.
Serve garnished with chives and with a lemon or lime wedge on the side.