The Meatless Gourmet:
Easy Lowfat Favorites
by Bobbie Hinman
The Meatless Gourmet by Bobbie Hinman
Serving Size: 6
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion -- finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -- finely minced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice -- uncooked
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes -- peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
Add onion and garlic.
Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
Add broth and bring to a boil.
Add remaining ingredients.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, until rice
is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove from heat and let stand covered, 5 minutes.
Fluff rice with a fork before serving.
214 Calories; 4g Fat (17% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate;
1mg Cholesterol; 783mg Sodium