Nava's Jamaican-Inspired Red Beans and Rice
From Nava Atlas. One half teaspoon of thyme indicated in original recipe was replaced with fresh cilantro. (Sorry, I don't care for thyme.) Adzuki beans are available both dried and canned.
SERVES 4 -6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans adzuki beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Sautè the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
Add the rice, drained beans, coconut milk and thyme if using.
Bring to a simmer then cover and cook over low heat until most of the coconut milk has evaporated, about 15 minutes. (The mixture should be moist but not watery.).
Garnish with cilantro leaves. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.