Jamaican Pumpkin Soup
- 6 cups not-chicken stock (vegetarian)
- 4 cups pumpkin peeled, cut in 1-inch cubes*
- 1 large potato, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/3 cup oat milk, rice milk, or soy milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
In large pot, add all ingredients except rice milk, cilantro, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until pumpkin and potato are tender. Remove bay leaf and pour soup into a blender (in several batches). Blend until smooth and pour into large bowl. If desired, return soup to pot and heat through. I find it stays plenty hot through the blending, and there is no need for this. Stir in rice milk. Garnish each bowlful with cilantro and nutmeg if desired.
*I used a large can of pumpkin puree instead, which I added shortly before the potatoes were tender. Worked fine.
Submitted by Chile to the McDougall Recipe Board
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.