Caribbean Vegetable Stew (McDougall)
This spicy bean stew reheats well so it can be made ahead and refrigerated until needed for mealtime.
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups peeled & chunked sweet potatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks with juice
- 2 cups chunked green apples (unpeeled)
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Place the water in a large pot. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, tomato sauce, tomatoes, pineapple, apples, chilies and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans and seasonings, mix well and continue to cook over low heat for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over brown rice or other whole grains.
From the Jan 2004 McDougall newsletter
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.