Caribbean Black Beans
Serve over rice.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 4 1/2 cups drained cooked black beans (3 16-ounce cans)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Sauté the onions and garlic in a non-stick skillet for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to soften, adding a tablespoon of water if needed to prevent sticking. Add 1 tbsp. of water, the ginger, thyme, and allspice and sauté, stirring often to prevent sticking, until the onions are very soft, for about 2 more minutes. Stir in the beans and orange juice and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly. Mash a few of the beans with the back of a spoon for a thicker consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.