Aji (Ecuadorean Hot Sauce)
There many ways to make Aji in Ecuador, but one thing is certain, there is always aji on the table. This is a recipe I learned while I was there. Cayenne or similar small red peppers are decent substitutes for the South American Aji peppers from which this delicious (hot) condiment gets its name.
- 4 hot red peppers (aji peppers or similar small hot peppers)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
Combine the water, peppers and garlic in the blender and blend well.
Strain the liquid into a bowl and discard any solids.
Add the balance of the ingredients and mix well.
Store in the refrigerator.