from Betty Siegel
- Massachusetts, USA
Mix the chopped tomato with the basil, garlic, oil, balsamic vinegar,
and salt to taste.
- 4 Slices of toasted French or Italian bread (any good firm
- 4 Chopped tomatoes, big ripe ones
- Fresh sweet Basil leaves, chiffonade or chopped (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced small or pressed
- 1 T Olive oil
- 2 T Balsamic vinegar (or any mild vinegar, try whatever you
(If you don't have oil, etc.; use Italian dressing.
Not as good, but OK).
Let set while you toast the bread.
When camping we toast it on the fire or grill and get a really
smokey flavor (which I like).
Put the bread slices on plates and divide the tomato mixture,
placing some on each slice of bread.
Let all the juice soak into the bread (make sure you start with
a really firm bread).