Chops (Alu Ki Tikiya)
From: Kate Pugh
Here's another recipe under the broad heading of "potato curry"
- basically a spiced potato rissole. Lovely as a snack or as part
of an Indian meal.
Yield: 12 "chops"
CONVERSIONS: 1 lb = 16 oz = 450 g; ABBREVIATIONS: ts = teaspoon, tb
= tablespoon, sm = small
- 1 1/2 lb Potatoes, boiled & mashed
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1 ts Garam masala -OR- 1/2 ts Ground cumin -AND- 1/2 ts Ground
- 1 tb Chopped fresh coriander -- (US = cilantro)
- 1 sm Onion, very finely chopped
- 2 Green chillies, finely -- chopped
- 1/2 ts Grated fresh ginger root
- Oil spray for cooking
Mix all ingredients (except oil spray) together well. Divide into
portions (as many as specified in "yield") and shape each into a
thick flat round.
Heat a large frying pan (skillet). Spray with a little oil or
grease lightly. Cook 3-4 potato cakes at a time, depending on how
large the pan is.
Do for about 5 minutes on each side until golden - DO NOT disturb
them until the 5 minutes is up or you will spoil the crust. When
they have been cooking 5 minutes try and lift them gently with a
spatula. Lift rather than scrape, and flip over, remembering that
they will still be very soft in the middle.
If you like, use another spatula placed over the top of the chop
to keep it together whilst turning over.
Keep them warm in the oven at a moderate heat (375 F, 190 C, Gas
5) while you cook the others.