Hawthorne's Potato and Fenugreek Curry
From The Vegetarian Society UK.
1. Peel and wash potatoes and dice. Leave in cold water to rinse off
- 225g/8oz potatoes
- 175g/6oz fenugreek (fresh}
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2.5ml/1/2tsp black mustard and cumin seeds mixed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2.5ml/1/2tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 fresh green chilli finely chopped
- pinch of turmeric and chilli powder
- 2.5ml/1/2tsp sugar
- 5ml/1tsp salt
- few drops of lemon juice
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 15ml/1tbsp coriander leaves for garnish
2. Pick and wash Fenugreek leaves. If the stems are soft chop
use them as well.
3. Heat the oil. Add the mustard and cumin seeds until they pop
then and the fresh garlic, chilli and ginger.
4. Add the potatoes, salt, sugar, turmeric and chilli powder.
Stir then cover the pan and let it cook for about 10 minutes on
a gentle heat. Take care not to over-brown the potatoes.
5. Stir in the fenugreek leaves - they produce enough liquid so
the potatoes will cook in their juices, but if they get dry add
a few drops of water. Cover the pan and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
6. Add the lemon juice and the chopped tomato and stir gently.
7. Remove from the heat one serve garnished with coriander leaves.