From: Overton Anderson
Recipe By: Jo Anne Merrill Serving Size: 1 Preparation Time: 3:00
*This recipe is to be processed in a boiling water bath. Instructions
for how to do this are with the recipe for "Tomato Jam", which is
in this cookbook.
- 20 tomatoes
- 8 apples
- 3 large onions
- 2 large bell peppers -- red or green
- 1 hot chili pepper
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove -- crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups vinegar
1. Scald tomatoes in boiling water, cool and peel.
2. Pare apples, peel onions, core peppers; chop all in fairly
3. Combine all ingredients in HEAVY covered kettle or pan and
simmer for about 2 hours or until mixture is thick. Stir often to
4. Pour while boiling hot into hot, sterile jars. See manufacturer's
directions for how to sterilize canning jars. Leave 1/4-inch of
head space. Process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
NOTES : This recipe is handed down to me by my mother, Lillian
Childers of Mississippi.