Recipe By: Mary George; Serving Size: 1
This sweet porridge is served at festivals and weddings.
- 1 cup split mung beans -whole or unpeeled
- 1 cup jaggery (Indian brown sugar)
- 2 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ginger root -- finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed cadamom seeds
- 2 tablespoons margarine or oil
- 1 tablespoon fried thinly sliced coconut
Boil mung beans in water cover until tender, about 45 minutes.
Combine jaggery with 1 cup water and simmer to make thick
Add syrup, coconut milk, ginger and cardamom to mung beans
and cook, covered, 15 minutes.
Add oil, stir well and remove from heat. Garnish with coconut
Each of 4 servings contains about 593 calories; 98 mg sodium;
16 mg cholesterol; 31 grams fat; 70 grams charbohydrates; 15
grams protein; 4.83 gram fiber.
Reprinted from Los Angeles Times Cover Story 30 May 1996.