And Rice Stuffed Pumpkin
Serving Size: 1
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
- 1 Pumpkin (14 or 15 inches in diameter) or 2 smaller ones
- 4 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 pound Fresh shelled chestnuts
- 1/4 cup Un-sulfured raisins
- 1/4 cup Un-sulfured apricots chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple -- chopped (or any tart apple)
- 1/2 cup Walnuts -- broken but not too small
- 1 Stalk celery -- chopped
- 1 medium White onion -- chopped
- 1 medium Red onion -- chopped
- 1 can Corn -- drained
- 1 medium Sweet green pepper -- chopped
- 1 medium Sweet red pepper -- chopped
- 1 medium Zucchini squash -- chopped
- 1 medium Yellow squash -- chopped
- 2 medium Fresh jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
- 2 cups Cooked brown basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon Mace
- 1/4 teaspoon Tumeric
- Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons Tamari sauce
Wash pumpkin and cut off the top, angle the cut so that the top will
fit back on more easily, use a big spoon to scoop out strings and
Mix sugar and 2 tbs. tamari sauce (you can warm them in the microwave
so they will mix more easily ) and spread evenly over insides of pumpkin.
Line the bottom of a large pan with single piece of aluminum foil
folded over itself 3 or 4 times, pour 1 cup water in pan, place top
back on pumpkin and place in baking pan, cover the pumpkin and the
pan with foil.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until pumpkin is just starting to become
tender, the thicker the pumpkin the longer it will take.
2. Steam the nuts for about 15 minutes.
Rinse them in cool water and slip off the brown skins.
Chop chestnuts coarsely.
3. Combine chestnuts with raisins, apricots, apple, walnuts, celery,
white and red onions, corn, green and red pepper, jalapeno peppers,
mace, tumeric and rice, mix well.
Add the 4 tbs. tamari and mix again.
4. Dust the inside of the pumpkin with the cinnamon.
Pack the pumpkin with the filling and replace the pumpkin top.
Return pan to oven, add water to cover the bottom of the pan and
bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
5. If you are going to serve the pumpkin on something other then
the pan it was cooked in BE CAREFUL.
The bottom of the pumpkin may be VERY soft.
Wrap the foil from the bottom of the pan up around the pumpkin as
you pick it up, this will keep the bottom intact.
When serving this recipe, scrape the inside of the pumpkin with
the serving spoon and mix the pumpkin into the stuffing.
If you have leftovers do not leave it in the pumpkin.
Remove the filling and scrape out the pumpkin and store in your
Tastes great the day after.
This is my modification of the recipe - THANKSGIVING PUMPKIN STUFFED
WITH RICE AND CHESTNUTS From The High Road to Health, Wagner and
My primary changes are adding lots more vegetables, removing the
tofu and oil, and changing the honey to sugar.
I have made this twice now, am going to make it for my family thanksgiving
feast, and it is now one of my permanent recipes.