Resource Center - Boston, USA
Put beans, bay leaf and vegetable stock in 2-3 quart pot.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained or 3 1/2
cups canned or cooked chick peas
- 1 bay leaf *
- 5 cups vegetable stock *
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, oven roasted, and 1 clove, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Tahini to taste (about 1/3 cup)
- Salt to taste
Bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for 2.5 hours, or
After cooking, drain the beans of any remaining liquid and reserve
Roast the garlic.
Keep garlic cloves in the peels, just cut the top off so the clove
tip is just showing.
Put your oven on 375 degrees or so and put the cloves in until
the peels turn a bit black, about 15 minutes.
Let them cool and they peel very easily.
(squeeze from bottom and cloves pop out)
Transfer canned or cooked beans to a food processor and puree.
Add lemon juice and continue to puree.
Gradually add some of the reserved bean stock if a creamier texture
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Add salt to taste and serve a room temperature or chilled.
I make large batches and then freeze the extra in small containers.