Tofu and Vegetable Pita Pockets
Purchased tabbouleh spooned onto whole romaine lettuce leaves is
ideal with these Mediterranean-inspired sandwiches.
Follow with baklava and fresh grapes.
Prepare barbecue (medium heat).
- 1/2 cup bottled Italian dressing
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 4 3/4-inch-thick slices firm tofu (from 14-ounce package),
drained well on several paper towels
- 2 medium-size green bell peppers, quartered lengthwise, seeded
- 8 green onions, all but 3 inches of green tops trimmed
- 2 7-inch-diameter pita breads, cut in half crosswise
Whisk dressing and mint in small bowl to blend.
Arrange tofu, bell peppers and green onions on small platter;
brush with some of dressing mixture.
Wrap pita bread in foil; place at edge of grill to warm through.
Grill vegetables and tofu until lightly charred and heated through,
occasionally turning and brushing with some dressing mixture,
about 8 minutes for vegetables and 5 minutes for tofu.
Cut tofu and peppers into 1/4-inch pieces.
Fill each pita half with 1/4 of tofu and peppers.
Top each with 2 green onions
Drizzle with any remaining dressing mixture and serve.
Makes 2 Servings