also in "vegan vittles" there is a recipe for "greek salad" that everyone
the "feta" cheese chunks are UNBELIEVABLE!
- 1/2 pound reduced fat regular tofu (firm), rinsed and patted
dry (press if time permits)
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 4 t olive oil
- 1/2 t dried basil leaves
- 1/2 t dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t garlic granules
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
1. Cut the tofu into 3/4 inch cubes, and place it in a wide, shallow
ceramic or glass mixing bowl
- 4 c romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 c cucumber, sliced horizontally and cut into half-moon
shapes (peel if waxed or thick-skinned)
- 1 ripe medium tomato, cut in half and thinly sliced into half-moon
- 1/3 c whole black olives or Greek olives
- 1/4 c chopped red onion
2. In a small measuring cup or mixing bowl whisk together the
ingredients for the marinade.
Pour the marinade over the tofu chunks, tossing them gently so that
they are evenly coated.
Cover, marinate in fridge several hours or overnight.
(I HIGHLY RECOMMEND 18 to 24 hours, and give them a stir whenever
you go in the kitchen so they marinate evenly.)
3. Just before serving prepare the salad ingredients and place
them in a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the tofu and marinade to the salad ingredients, and toss
gently but thoroughly.
Serve at once, with salt and pepper on the side to season as desired.