Ratatouille with Basil Aioli
Here are a few vegan French recipes that were in May's issue of
Vegetarian Times in an article called "French Country Cuisine".
I haven't tried any of them yet, but they look delicious.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1" thick rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1" wide strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1" wide strips
- 8 small red-skin potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 Bermuda onion, cut into 3/4"-thick rings
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- Several sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Basil Aioli:
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. minced garlic or to taste
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup soy mayonnaise
In large roasting pan, combine eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, potatoes,
onion rings and garlic.
Scatter rosemary sprigs over top.
Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Toss to coat.
Roast vegetables, stirring every 5 minutes, until almost tender,
Add tomatoes. Continue roasting, stirring once or twice, until all
vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
Meanwhile, make aioli: In food processor, combine basil and garlic
and process until finely chopped.
Add lemon juice. Gradually add soy mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a
time, until mixture is well blended.
Remove vegetables from oven and transfer to serving platter.
Serve warm with aioli on the side.