Braised Red Cabbage (Denmark)
This is traditionally served for Christmas dinner. The flavor improves if you prepare the dish a day in advance, refrigerate it, and then reheat it on the stove or in a 325° oven before serving. From Recipe Goldmine.
SERVES 4 -6
- 1 medium red cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly (check ingredients for gelatin!)
- 2 tablespoons grated apples
Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Wash cabbage, remove outer leaves, and cut in half lengthwise. Remove core. Slice or chop fine, using a knife or food processor.
In a heavy 4- or 5-quart casserole, combine butter, sugar, salt, water and vinegar. Bring to a boil on the stove. Add cabbage and toss well to coat.
Bring to a boil; cover casserole, and place in oven. Bake 2 hours. Check occasionally and add some water if all the liquid has cooked away.
Ten minutes before cooking is finished, stir in jelly and apple; replace cover.