Vietnamese Tofu Salad
SERVES 4 -6
- 1 (250 g) package firm tofu
- 1 cucumber, chopped into thin strips approx. 2 inch in length
- 1 red pepper, chopped into thin strips approx. 2 inch in length
- 80 g mange-touts peas, finely sliced on a diagonal
- 3-4 spring onions, finely sliced on a diagonal
- 150 g bean sprouts, washed
- 50 g dry roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh coriander leaves
Dressing or Marinade
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 small red chilies, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Make up the dressing/marinade by mixing all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
Drain the tofu on kitchen paper and cut the block in half and then slice each block through on it’s horizontal line leaving 4 “steaks”.
Place the steaks of tofu in a flat dish and pour over about a ¼ of the marinade leaving for about 20 minutes.
Heat the oil in a fry pan over a medium setting and gently place the slices of tofu into the pan.
Fry until brown and the edges are starting to crisp up.
Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
Once cooled slice into ¼ inch strips.
In a large bowl mix together the shredded cucumber, red pepper, mange tout, spring onions, bean sprouts, crushed roasted peanuts, sliced marinated tofu and coriander.
Pour over the remaining dressing and gently toss to coat all ingredients.