Tuong Goi Cuon - Vietnamese Bean Dipping Sauce
from: That is Dr House to you
From Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table by Mai Pham: This is thicker than nuoc and used with things such as spring rolls and other meat dishes.
1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup whole fermented soybeans, see note
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons sugar, omit with Hoisin
- 1 tablespoon ground chili paste, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts
Place the first six ingredients into a blnder and process until smooth. Transfer to a pan and bring to boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat when it boils and simmer until thick enough to coat a spoon about 5 minutes. If too thick add a bit of water. Set aside to cool.
Garnish with the paste and peanutes. Also you can use garlic, chilies and ginger.
Keeps 2 weeks.
Note if you can't find the soybeans omit it and use 1/3 cup hoisin sauce letting out the sugar.