Rice Pudding (Kao Niow Dahm)
Rince rice until water clears.
- 2 cups whole grain black sticky rice, sweet or glutinous (found
in Asian groceries)
- 2 cups, or 1 can, coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (or alternative sweetner)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (toasted)-optional
- strawberries and mint leaves-optional
Cover with at least 2" water and soak 4 mor more hours.
Place in heat proof bowl with room enough for the rice grains to expand
about a third more than uncooked bulk.
Add small amount boiling water, just enough to cover rice.
Steam rice--place bowl in large pot, put trivet on bottom along with
Heat coconut milk, sugar, salt in saucepan.
When rice is cooked and still hot add 1/2 the coconut 'sauce' and
thoroughly coat the rice.
Let stand 15-20 minutes.
Reserve remaining sauce for spooning before serving.
Top with sesame seeds, shredded coconut, and/or strawberries, and
For a more pudding-like texture, boil rice instead of steaming.