from Robert and
Gina Fraser - Perth, Western Australia
As an alternative to a rich cream cheese and egg cheesecake, this
cake made with tofu (soya bean curd) is light and nourishing.
- 10 wheatmeal biscuits
- Three quarters of a cup of vegetable margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
Crush the biscuits finely and mix with melted margarine.
- 1 tray of tofu (350g)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or maple syrup
- Juice of half a lemon
- Rind of half a lemon, grated
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- half a cup raisins or soaked sultanas (soak in orange or lemon
- Cinnamon topping
Press into cheesecake tin. In a blender, combine the tofu, golden
(or maple) syrup, lemon juice and rind, tahini and vanilla.
Add raisins to the filling and spoon over the base.
Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake in a moderate oven for 25-30 minutes.
Cool in oven.
The cake is firmer if served two hours later.