"Classic Mediterranean meets the Spicy Orient" in this flavorful fusion.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups eggplants, cubed
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (Chinese cooking wine)
- 2 tablespoons bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce
- 1 lb chinese noodles, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced (optional)
Heat vegetable oil and sesame oil in a large saucepan.
Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté over medium heat 5 minutes.
Add zucchini, mushrooms and eggplant and sauté 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables soften.
Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and continue cooking, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Serve over Chinese noodles.
Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.