from Karen C.
Greenlee - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Recipe By: the California Culinary Academy
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:20
1. In a wok over medium-high heat, saute bell peppers in the safflower
oil until shiny (about 5 minutes).
- 1 cup red bell pepper -- thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper -- thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup yellow bell pepper -- thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup honey style sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon herbal salt substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy or tamari sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- or to taste
2. In a large bowl combine arrowroot, vinegar, pineapple juice,
lemon juice, honey, salt substitute, and ginger.
Pour over peppers and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens
3. Cut tofu into thin slices.
Add to wok, cover, and steam 3 minutes.
Add soy sauce and cayenne. Toss well and serve.
NOTES : Crunchy, brightly colored bell peppers complement
the white cubes of protein-rich tofu in this entree.
The sweet-and-sour sauce is slightly spicy.
The vegetables and tofu can be marinated ahead of time in sesame
oil for added flavor.
Cook the dish the night before and reheat for lunch the next
day-it gets better as it sits and the flavors blend.