Moroccan Cafe Salad
Spears of roasted eggplant, zucchini and parsnips with a fruity saffron dressing served with feathery leaves of frisee and the crunch of pine nuts!
- 2 zucchini
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 parsnips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme sprig
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 1 head frisee
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 pinch saffron thread (about 20)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or whole grain mustard
Preheat the oven to 400*F.
Put the saffron and raisins in 2 tbs. boiling water and set aside to soak.
Trim the zucchini, eggplants, and parsnips, and quarter lengthwise. Toss in the olive oil along with the thyme, salt, and pepper. Place all in a roasting pan.
Roast for 30 minutes.
Toss the vegetables, add the cherry tomatoes and roast until the vegetables are slightly scorched and soft, about 10 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes.
To make the dressing:.
Whisk olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl with the saffron, raisins, and soaking water.
Trim the frisee and tear the leaves in half. Toss the leaves in half the dressing and arrange in serving bowls.
Toss the warm vegetables and cherry tomatoes in the remaining dressing and arrange over the top of the frisee. Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over each salad and serve. Enjoy!