Sweet Pea Soup
This recipe is adapted from _Sundays at Moosewood
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp grated fresh peeled ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp homemade garam masala, which we happened to have on
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric (I don't like it and didn't use it, but Moosewood
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups fresh green peas (took me 45 minutes to shell them!)
Braise/deglaze onions and garlic in a pot for 5-10 minutes.
Mix in the ginger, salt, and all spices and cook
for a few minutes, stirring often.
Add tomatoes and sweet potato, stir. Add 1 1/2 cups
of water, stir.
Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add 2 cups of the peas and simmer, covered, for 10
Remove from heat and add remaining 2 cups of water.
Puree in batches in a blender until smooth. return to the pot, add
the last cup of peas, and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.