Recipe by: traditional/adapted by Jocelyn Graef
This is a traditional South African recipe, adapted from its meat-based origins. It is not only fabulous, it is utterly simple. Never fails to get raves from guests.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- salt, pepper, chili to taste
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 Tbs. apricot jam
- Handful raisins or currants
- 2 Tbs. chutney, hot or sweet
- 1 Tbs. Bragg aminos
- 3 or 4 slices bread, soaked in vegetable broth and crumbled
- 4 cups leftover vegetables - any kind: peas, potatoes, carrots, etc.
- 1 can lowfat coconut milk
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Sauté onion until translucent and add curry powder, ginger and salt, pepper, chili to taste. Stir a minute until mixed well.
Add lemon juice, jam, raisins, chutney and Braggs. Simmer a few minutes until blended.
Mix in the soaked and crumbled bread and the vegetables.
Spread the mix in a casserole dish and pour the coconut milk over the top. Heat in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve with brown rice.
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.