Alicha (Ethiopian Stew)
From: Missy Wombat
One of my distant relatives in the middle of Outback Australia married an Ethiopian woman. Good choice - the woman can cook, and well enough to be featured on a food show on national TV.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups red onions (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 6 new potatoes, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 6 medium chili peppers, chopped (birds eye or baby red if you like it hot, possibly
jalapeno if you like it milder)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
Cook onions and garlic in oil until transparent.
Wash and chop vegetables and add them to the onions, lightly browning.
Add nutmeg, garlic and cardamom then cook slowly for 30 mins.
Season to taste then add chilli, parsley and basil just before serving.