The Kinks were an English pop/rock group formed in 1963, and categorised as a British Invasion band, along with the other members of the so-called Big Four (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Who). Despite being less commercially successful than these three contemporaries, mostly because of a four-year ban from the United States in the mid-to-late 1960s, the Kinks are cited among them as one of the most important and influential rock bands of all time.
Photo: Ray & Dave from 1972:
- Davies, Ray & Dave Ray: singer/writer/musician
source: many quotes/articles featuring Ray; url: www.raydavies.com;
Brother Dave Davies guitarist with The Kinks is also veggie.
- from davedavies.com "Dave is a long-time vegetarian and has recently given up smoking." (undated)
- from wikipedia: Chrissie Hynde [who was vegetarian from 1969] had a daughter, Natalie Rae Hynde, in 1983 with Ray Davies of The Kinks.
- from kinks.it.rit.edu "Placating me with small talk as we dished up lunch from trays provided backstage at one soundcheck, Davies knocked some turnip concoction (Ray and brother Dave are vegetarians) into the gravy." - Rolling Stone interview 1982
- from marathonpacks.com, review of Ray's solo album: The best song on the album, and perhaps one of his all-time greats, is "All She Wrote" (mp3), a punny pastiche of countless failed relationships (I'm thinking Chrissie Hynde inspired the "my new man is a vegetarian" line) that wouldn't sound out of place on Muswell Hillbillies or Lola vs. the Powerman. Davies writes: