IVU IC Elections rules and procedures
- The International Council (IC) shall be elected by email ballot, with voting from April 1-30 of each even numbered year. The results to be announced by emaiI during the first week of May.
- Member Organisations shall be invited to send nominations from February 15 to March 15 of each even numbered year. Candidates must be vegetarian, and a current Board Member or Senior Employee of a Member Organisation, and nominated by that same organisation. Nominations must be sent by someone other than the candidate.
- On or shortly before April 1, of each election year, all full member organisations shall be sent, electronically, full details of all candidates, including position statements submitted by the candidates, of a length and format prescribed by IC.
- Voting shall be by a confidential ballot of member organisations. Votes shall be sent to persons nominated by IC who are not standing for election, and kept confidential until the result is announced. Leaders of Member Organisations shall be encouraged, but not required, to disclose to their own members how they voted.
- The eight candidates receiving the most votes shall be elected for a term of office expiring when the next council is announced during the first week of May, two years later.
- IC may fill an interim vacancy of the eight elected members, by a 2/3 majority vote of all IC, to expire when the next IC is elected.
Questions for all candidates - please keep answers brief.
1. Why do you want to be on IVU International Council (IC)?
2. What would you like to see IVU IC achieve?
3. What particular skills will you bring to the IVU IC?
4. Why are you vegetarian/vegan and what does it mean to you?
5. With all your many responsibilities, are you confident that you can find at least 10 hours a month to take part in IC deliberations and vote on issues before IC?
6. In addition to taking part in IC deliberations and voting on issues before IC, what is one other way, beyond the many wonderful activities you already do with your local/national society, that you will contribute to the work of IC?
7. For those seeking re-election: Please tell us how did you contributed over the last two years to IVU.
8. Is there anything else that you would like to say?
Template for Nominations
Name of IVU member organisation:
Name of the organisation’s representative who is nominating the candidate:
Name of nominee:
Nominee’s position in your organisation:
Please include below the nominee’s position statement, based on the eight questions sent in the Call for Nominations.
February 15: send invitations to all IVU member organisations to, if they wish, to nominate candidates for IC elections.
March 15: deadline for nominations.
April 1: Send to IVU member organisations the list of candidates.
April 30: deadline for voting.
May 07: deadline for announcing the results of voting for IC.
IVU IC Elections 2017 Committee:
Susianto Tseng - IVU chair
Marly Winckler - IVU deputy chair
George Jacobs - IVU ex-chair
- Created on .