| Diary Of Events
Recipe by Kake L Pugh, presented at the Club on 14 October 1998. A
version of this recipe was posted on the Fatfree vegetarian list by
Michelle Dick. It originally comes from a book by Gabe Merkin, but
both Michelle and I have altered it slightly. It makes a lot, but
freezes very well. Serve it on its own, or with a cooked vegetable
such as spinach.
- 1 medium onion
- 2 green chillies (heat to taste)
- 1 tbsp home-made curry powder (optional)
- 2 stock cubes
- 175g (6oz, 1 cup) brown rice (easy-cook works best)
- 1 x 400g (15oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 courgettes---about ¼ -- ½ cups
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 x 425g (16oz) cans small beans such as flageolet or cannellini
- 1 x 325g (11oz) can sweetcorn
- 4 tbsp (¼ cup) chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- Chop the onion. Deseed and chop the chillies. Saute onion, chillies
and curry powder (if using) in stock made with the cubes, or use oil
if you wish, until onion is softened.
- Add the rice and canned tomatoes, along with 450ml (16 fl oz, 2
cups) of water. Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for
25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, chop the courgettes and peppers. After 25 minutes
cooking, add the courgettes and peppers (don't stir them in yet) and
cook for another 30 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Drain and rinse the beans and sweetcorn, then stir in and heat
through gently for about 5 minutes. Stir in the coriander and serve.
The HLSC website is hosted by the International Vegetarian Union.
For more vegan recipes, see the IVU Recipe Collection.
| Diary Of Events
Oxford Healthy Living Supper Club - http://www.ivu.org/hlsc/
This page added 2 Dec 1998
(last altered 29 Mar 2001) - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (email@example.com).