COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY DELEGATES AT THE 1st WEST AFRICA VEGETARIAN
CONGRESS,HELD IN LAGOS, NIGERIA FROM 7th-10th DECEMBER, 2007.
1. IVU Africa should try to establish contact with religious groups, because
they have the people who are vegetarians, so that they can become members of
the IVU Africa group, it will help to promote vegetarianism in Africa.
2. Establish cooking school/classes as means of teaching people good methods
of preparing vegetarian and vegans foods.
3. To be recognised by the IVU Africa, each association in Africa should
register with its government or government agency responsible for
registration of companies.
4. We must try to seperate religion from vegetarianism, especially at
congreses to let people know that vegetarianism is a way of life. It has
been obsevered that in Africa about 90% of vegetarians are vegetarians
because of religion.
5. Link with health professionals like Doctors, Nutritionist, Nurses, etc.
etc., to help explain the benefits of vegetarianism,because they have direct
contact with people with health related problems,people might accept or
believe them easily if they reccomend or tell them the benefit of vegetarian
6. Every organization should at least have a website, organize events and
7. There is the need to have an Africa Vegetarian online newsletter with
contribution from each country.
8. Each country must have an active Coordinator, the country co-odinators
will work with the Africa Co-odinator. The IVU Africa Coodinator cannot be
at every country,he/she will need people to assist him/her, the Country
coordinator will serve as the Representative of the Africa Coodinator.
9. We regret that the 2010 IVU Congress could not be hosted in Africa, so
Africa societies must do well to organize themselves and work towards
hosting the WVC World Vegetarian Congress in the near future possibly 2012,
2014 or 2016.
10. That IVU should sponsor some active members of the IVU Africa group to
the Centenary Celebration which will be held in Dresden, Germany, this year
11. Each country must try to organize an event at least once a year, which
should be open to international vegetarians to attend.
12. We must have a Bi-annual Africa Congress.
13. IVU Africa must have a Secretariat.
14. IVU Africa must have an active Coordinator and a vibrant and active IVU
Africa Executive Council.
15. We must have a constitution.
16. We must have a Fund for Africa which should be managed by IVU
Council, until IVU Africa has been able to establish itself.
17. IVU must assist IVU Africa to form an Executive Council.
It was resolved that Ghana should host the 2nd West Africa Congress this
year 2008, and Cameroun host it 2009, a member/members of the IVU Executive
Council must attend the Ghana Congress.
This was prepared and issued on behalf of Delegates who attended the 1st
West Africa Congress held in Lagos, Nigeria from 7th to 10th December, 2007.