USA: 19th Century
Note - these are not just lists of 'famous vegetarians' - they are people with a view on the subject, and the articles explain whether they put those veiws into practice.
- Rev.William Metcalfe (17??-1862)
- Sylvester Graham (1795-1851)
- Español - Sylvester Graham
- William Andrus Alcott (1798-1859)
- Bronson Alcott (1799-1888)
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
- Mary Gove Nichols (1810-1884)
- Russell Trall (1812-1877)
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
- Español - Henry David Thoreau
- Ellen G. White (1827-1915)
- Español - Ellen G. White
- Henry S. Clubb (1827-1922)
- Jacksonian Veg: Couldn't stomach pork & whisky - 1830s USA, by Karen Iacobbo, 2001
- American Physiological Society - founded by William Alcott and Sylvester Graham
- The American Vegetarian Society (1850-1865)
- Dr. John Harvey Kellogg (1852-1943)
- The New York Vegetarian Association
- Vegetarian Festival in New York
- Ralph Waldo Trine (1866-1958)
- Vegetarian Society of America
- Chicago Vegetarian Society
- Battle Creek, Michigan, Vegetarian Society
- Portland, Oregon, Vegetarian Society
- 3rd International Vegetarian Congress - Chicago, USA
- A Visit to America - by the Rev. James Clark, Vice President of the Vegetarian Society (UK)
- Food, Home and Garden (link to archive.org) - Journal of the Vegetarian Society of America Vols I-III, 1897-99
- History of Vegetarian Societies in North America (1837-1908)
IVU Manager's blogs
Veganism from 1806 - a brief timeline summary
Sylvester Graham - the original American vegan baker
Taking the Waters - transatlantic pioneer plant-food doctors
Bronson Alcott - American pioneer vegan
Henry David Thoreau and the Roots of Plantism
The First Vegan Cookbook - New York 1874
Complete Old Books
History of the Philadelphia Bible-Christian Church from 1817 to 1917 (PDF 2mb) pub.1922
A Defence of the Graham System of Living: Or, Remarks on Diet and Regimen. Dedicated to the Rising Generation (link to archive.org), by Sylvester Graham New York, 1835
Lectures on the Science of Human Life (link to archive.org) by Sylvester Graham, pub. by William Horsell (see below) London 1854
The philosophy of sacred history considered in relation to human aliment and the wines of Scripture (link to archive.org) - by Sylvester Graham, edited by Henry S. Clubb, 1859 - by Sylvester Graham, edited by Henry S. Clubb, pub. W. Horsell, London, 1859
Lectures to ladies on anatomy and physiology (link to archive.org) by Mary Gove Nichols, Boston, 1842 - many references to the vegetable diet.
Bronson Alcott's Fruitlands (1843) (link to archive.org) compiled by Clara Endicott Sears with Transcendental Wild Oats (1876) by Louisa May Alcott, 1915 edition
Religion, Natural and Revealed (link to archive.org): by Orson S. Fowler, New York, 1st pib. 1844, 10th edition 1848 p.136: Were a flesh diet productive of no other evil consequence than lowering ... benevolence that alone should forever annihilate so barbarous a practice'.
Physiology, animal and mental (link to archive.org) by Orson S. Fowler, New York, 1847, 5th edition 1851 (half of Fowler & Wells, NY, which published many of the veg-related books on this page).
The Hydropathic Encyclopedia Vol.2 (link to archive.org) by Russell Trall, New York, 1851 Trall was a founder member of the American Vegetarian Society in 1850.
Hydrotherapy or The Water-Cure (link to archive.org) by Joel Shew, New York 1851. Shew was a Vice-president of the American Vegetarian Society.
Philosophy of Health: Natural Principles of Health and Cure (link to archive.org ) by Larkin Baker Coles M.D. Boston, first pub. 1848 - 26th revised edition 1851 (claims 28,000 sold) p.51 The Quality of Foods (promotes vegetable diet)
Recollections of a busy life (link to archive.org) by Horace Greeley (1811-1872) pub.1868 - editor of the NY Tribune and a vegetarian from about 1835. p.98: Chapter VIII - Temperance in all things
Horace Greeley Voice Of The People (link to archive.org) by William Harlan Hale, 1950.
Walden (link to archive.org) by Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), first pub.1854. This edition with intro by Will H. Dircks, 1886.
Life and writings of Henry David Thoreau (link to archive.org) by Henry S. Salt, witten 1890 - 1896 edition.
Thoreau's philosophy of life, with special consideration of the influence of Hindoo philosophy (PDF 11mb) by Helena A. Snyder, Dissertation, Heidelberg University, 1902. p.20 Absitence from meat eating
Health: Its Friends and Foes (link to archive.org) by Reuben D. Mussey M.D., LL.D, Boston, 1862. p.169: Chapter VIII - Man by nature a vegetable eater - vegetarianism
The Golden Age Cook Book (link to archive.org) by Henrietta Latham Dwight, New York, 1898
Every living creature; or, Heart-training through the animal world (link to archive.org) by Ralph Waldo Trine, 1899
The Vivisection Question (link to archive.org) articles from 1880 to 1900 compiled by Albert Leffingwell M.D, 1901