Tabbouleh Libanaise. An authentic recipe for tabouli salad found on a Lebanese website (DownTownBeirut.com). Authentic tabouli is mostly parsley with very little bulgur at all.
- 1/4 cup bulgur, uncooked (fine cracked wheat)
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb firm tomato, washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- crisp lettuce leaf or fresh cabbage leaf
When I make this, I find that I can reduce the salt, lemon juice, and oil quite a bit, but I've posted the original ingredients list above for you to modify as desired.
Wash chopped mint and parsley and then drain well.
Wash the bulgur several times and drain.
Soak the washed bulgur in the chopped tomatoes for about 20 minutes.
Rub the chopped onion with salt.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Add olive oil and lemon juice and toss the mixture well.
Serve with crisp lettuce leaves or fresh cabbage leaves, for scooping up the salad.