Iraqi Date and Nut Cake Gilacgi
Bottom and top crust is made from either semolina, farina or cream of wheat cereal and filled in the middle with dates, walnuts, honey-style sweetener (eg maple syrup or molasses), lemon, cinnamon and chopped dates.
SERVES 6 -8
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dates
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons honey-style sweetener (eg maple syrup or molasses)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
FOR TOP AND BOTTOM CRUST
- 1 1/4 cups semolina or farina or regular cream of wheat
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, plus
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, melted
Combine dates and water in a small saucepan. Bring water to a boil; simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in honey-style sweetener, lemon juice, cinnamon and nuts. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 400°F Butter a round 8 1/2 inch cake pan; sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
In a large bowl, combine semolina, farina or Cream of Wheat; flour; baking powder and sugar. Sprinkle vanilla over mixture. Stir in margarine.
Spoon half of the mixture into greased cake pan; press over bottom and up side of pan. Spoon date mixture evenly over top.
Sprinkle remaining flour mixture over date mixture.
Bake in center of oven 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool, then slice.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Best of International Cooking.