Hawaij - Traditional Spice Mix from Yemen
From: Um Safia
Hawaij is essential to the cuisine of Yemen - use it liberally as a rub for vegetables. Try it sprinkled into soups, stews, sauces, and rice to liven the flavours up a bit!
1 1/2 cups
- 6 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup cumin seed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ground turmeric
Put everything except the turmeric into a frying pan & dry fry (no oil required) for a couple of minutes.
Allow to cool, grind using a spice / coffee grinder or mortar & pestle. Add the turmer, mix well & store in an container in a cool, dark place.