Grandma's Lebanese Chili
From: Vegetarian Network Of Austin Vegan Cookbook
This is a chili with curry that was brought to our preliminary chili cook-off in October 2007 by member Bruce Kravitz.
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 medium carrots (chopped or grated)
- 3 cups cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves or ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup cashews
Rinse bulghur in a sieve.
Put bulghur in medium bowl and cover with boiling water by 2 inches?.
Soak uncovered for 30 minutes, or until tender.
Drain thoroughly by spooning batches into a sieve and pressing out all of the liquid with the back of a spoon.
As the batches are completed, put them in another medium bowl.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onions and saute for 3 minutes, tossing often.
Add carrots and cauliflower and saute for additional 2 minutes.
Sprinkle on the turmeric, coriander, cumin, cloves and cayenne and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add the drained chickpeas.
Mix and cook 2 minutes.
Stir in the drained bulghur, tomatoes and tamari and mix thoroughly.
Cook, tossing occasionally, 15 minutes, or until piping hot.
Toss cashews on top and serve with plain yogurt, for contrasting flavor & texture.